Sunday, December 16, 2007

3 Jars



So this holiday season, we've really been trying to instill in Grayson a desire to give to others. Now granted, he is 4 years old and the "Me! Me! Me!" attitude is totally age appropriate, but I don't think that it's ever too early to foster a giving spirit. But who knew that we'd face such ardent opposition?! Shopping for a Christmas present for him to give to his best friend Garrett (who, by the way, pretty much assembles some sort of artwork, goody bag, or craft project to GIVE to Grayson every day) was downright torture! "But Mo-mm, my body tells me that I NEED one of those, too!" (turn up the 'whine' factor as you imagine that being said) So I turned to my wise friend Anna Stahl who gave me the idea of the 3 jars--one collects money to spend, one to save, and one to give. I discussed the concept with Grayson a few nights ago at dinner. He listened but with a definite look of skepticism on his face. Finally, when I was done explaining how the jars were going to work, he looked me dead in the eye with his teeth gritted and said, "Mom, I will have to think about whether I will give that money away. And mom, it's probably going to take me a LOT of days to think about it." End of conversation. Oh brother!!! We'll see how it goes though. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Robin said...

Good job for starting young! We took our youth pastor's kids shopping Friday night so they could buy Christmas gifts for their parents. They each had $20 to spend. Jeremiah, who is 8, had the goal of spending as little as he could so he could spend what he had left on himself. Sigh. We didn't let it happen - but what a challenge! We kept telling him that the evening was not about him - he wasn't impressed.