Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grayson!



6 years ago today, right about now, my baby was experiencing his first hour of life on the outside. Trust me, the kid wanted to stay IN! I carried him for 42 weeks without 1. single. contraction. Until of course the day--May 15th--when the doctors FINALLY felt sorry enough for me (being 12 days past my due date) and hooked me up to the drugs. And, um, yeah, I quickly learned that contractions--no matter how wimpy mine apparently were--were not for me! So fast-forward 13 hours, 37 minutes and viola! I became a big fan of c-sections. Big fan.

But that fact aside, I honestly can't believe that my first-born is 6 years old today. 6! What we ever did without him in our lives is a distant memory almost too hard to recall. And that's okay with me. Because now, being his mom and Molly's too--this is the season of my life that I want to remember. Yet sometimes it seems like it's passing by all too quickly. G is not a baby or a toddler or a pre-schooler anymore. He's a boy. A boy who picks out his own clothes, rides his bike without training wheels, and walks by himself into the school building every morning. I used to think those kinds of things--no matter how small or trivial--seemed so far off. But those days are here. Whether I'm ready for them or not. But God's plan for Grayson is perfect. As always. Moms never get left out of God's plans. Because while I've got this boy who is ready and wanting to outstretch his wings a little more each day...at the end of the day, he always comes back to his mama. And for now anyway (and maybe always, if I'm lucky) I still maintain 'rock star status' in his life. He is just as big of a fan of me as I am of him. And that, I hope, will never change...even when everything changes, as it will.

For now though, we get to enjoy our funny, smart, sensitive, kind, compassionate, goofy, shy 6 year-old, knowing full well that he is perfect in every way God created him. Perfect for us. And I'm glad that we get to share him with all of you! (Because we think he's pretty special.) Happy Birthday, Pal! We love you!

No comments: