Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tis the Season!

Some people (my mother) have accused me of not being up to date on my blog. Huh. Mother, shall we talk about your history with Christmas newsletters?! ;) wink, wink

At this point in my life, the only Black Friday shopping I do is online. Instead of being out with the masses in the stores, it has become our tradition to have a leisurely morning breakfast, then head downtown to Mac's annual Santa Parade. Quirky it is, by all means stunning it is not, but it's got that great small town community feel to it, which is why I (and the kids) love it. It's the kick-off to our "merry season", if you will. And this year especially, we were spoiled with nice weather, lots of familiar faces to chat with, new stuffed animals (because apparently just handing out candy isn't good enough anymore???), and the big guy in red atop a fire truck (which followed the kung fu karate people (?) and the dozens of John Deere tractors--and to think my husband used to consider Mac a big CITY! Ha!).

Anyway, after SEEING Santa from afar, Molly thought that she was ready to visit up close. Turns out it was only a thought because notice who is missing in the picture:


This was Molly:

She was riding the carousel, holding on for dear life...afraid that Santa might, too, decide to take a spin on one of the horses. (By the way, after the parade we high-tailed it down to the Riverfront Carousel in Salem. Amazing that Santa was able to get there so quickly as well! What do you know?)
Following a really fantastic 4 day holiday weekend, it was time to get back in the school groove. Next up? G's Christmas program. Darling, as usual. Here's a little sample for your viewing pleasure:



Molly was a happy and excited spectator throughout.


Awwww. I don't know what else to do but giggle when these 2 are side by side. 12 days. They are TWELVE days apart in age!!!
The happy posers:





Seriously I want these 2 to get married just so we can use all these pictures in the wedding slide show!

As our busy month rolled along (Did I mention that I had jury duty?!) we managed to convince Daddy to let us put up a Christmas tree. Not that he's a bah-humbug grinch, but we are traveling for the holidays this year. So did we really need to put up a tree since we won't even be at our house on Christmas morning? YES! (We knew he'd come around.)

It was sunny and beautiful but C-O-L-D! Like in the teens cold! Seriously. So it was one quick trip out to the tree farm. And if you know me, you know that I don't usually make decisions that involve choices quickly. But put me in 15 degree weather and viola! That first tree right there--perfect!















When it came time to decorate, Molly put up the angel this year.


And that, friends, has been our December (so far) in a nutshell! Happy, Mom?! :)

1 comment:

CB said...

Our Christmas Tree hunting expedition went very quickly this year too! And We went the weekend AFTER the freezing temperatures, so we have a muddy mess to swish thorugh...miracle, miracle, I have MEVER selected a tree so quickly!

(I love that Brian was staring at Grayson nearly the entire song!)