Saturday, June 14, 2008

Clarification

This past week several people have asked me, "Where are you going? Why isn't Sarri watching your kids anymore?!" The reality is that it has been 5 years. And while someday, when these kiddos are graduating, the past 5 years will seem to have gone by faster than the blink of an eye, today, here and now, 5 years is kind of a long time. And while I'd have Sarri watch my kids all thru their teenage-hood (made up word, I think), I know that she is ready for other things. And who can fault her? Nowhere in writing did it say that she even had to watch our kids these past 2 years when she chose to be a full-time "stay at home" mom rather than teach half-time. (For those of you who don't know, for 3 years Sarri and I taught together but opposite one another--her in the morning, me in the afternoon. That allowed us to watch each other's kids when we weren't at school.) But she did, not only to help us out in a HUGE way, but also, I believe, because she really does love my kids like family. All children deserve to have an "auntie" who adores them and treats them just as if they were her own. After all, Auntie Sarri has seen my kids thru all of the important "firsts" that come with the early years. Probably she saw and heard some of them before me and just didn't tell me, because that's what moms do for one another.

Of course, because of the situation, Grayson and Molly since birth have had the opportunity to grow friendships with the Gibson kids that are tighter than most. And those, no doubt, will continue. But to Dave and I, the even greater gift is the one that Sarri gave to US--one that we will probably never be able to repay. Her gift of friendship is one thing, but caring for our kids, who of course mean more to us than anything, is the gift we treasure above all in our hearts. For 5 years not once did we EVER doubt that our kids were in the right place...that they were loved and respected and cared for...that they were happy. Not one day did they ever have to go to "daycare", and not one day did my kids ever complain about going to Sarri's. And that's the truth.

So it is with a little bit heavy hearts that we prepare for the next chapter--the one that is still being written for next year--but how can we complain knowing what we have been given? To Auntie Sarri we say, "Thank you." Those 2 words are just the tip of the iceberg, but we trust that she knows exactly what thoughts, feelings, and overwhelming gratitude are embodied in that iceberg.

2 comments:

Sarri said...

Aww. You guys are the best. I love being 'Auntie Sarri' to your babes, and I just pray that I will continue to be, just as you are still 'Auntie Judy' to my kids even though they aren't there every day. I love your kids so much, and I am so blessed to have you as my friend! (And your hubby isn't half bad either!)
Thank YOU.

Michelle said...

I remember when we were all three pregnant together! It doesn't seem like our guys could be 5 years old and ready to start kindergarten! What a neat relationship you and Sarri's family have and I'm sure the kids will always be close. Have fun in DL!