Monday, November 9, 2009

Surprise! Disney On Ice

Truth be told, I am the planner in the family. Shocking, I know. Dave is a super fun dad, he just doesn't plan the fun. That, apparently, is my job. And even though I do love to plan, I would be happy to, from time to time, turn over my position to someone else. Enter Dave. A.) not so much of a planner (especially a social planner) and B.) someone who shakes his head each time I even mention returning (again) to the Happiest Place on Earth. So imagine my surprise when he brought home a flyer and suggested that we buy tickets for the traveling Disney on Ice show. Knock me over with a feather! Of course that's where his "planning" ended. I actually had to purchase the tickets. And I felt the need to plan the rest of our day out in Portland, too. (I know, I never learn my lesson. I should have guessed that half of my party would be grumpy most of the day. Ggrrr. But Molly and I? We had a fabulous time!)

First up was the kids' first ride on the MAX train.



Don't let his smile fool you. He was NOT a fan of my train idea. Bah humbug.







At this point, the kids still didn't know why we were in Portland. Surprises are the best!

Happy.

I wish I could have captured the exact moment that Grayson's grin gave way to the most sour of expressions. Hmmm, let's see...it was right about when Lighting McQueen and Mater skated off the ice, and out came...Ariel. In his words, "Ugh." Too funny! But at least you know that Molly Girl was happy! Thrilled, actually. Mermaids are her thing these days.
















Now part of my husband's arguement for not riding the train was/is his belief that "seedy" people use public transportation. Oh brother. But, well, let's just say that on our return trip there were a few "colorful" characters. All part of the experience though, right?


While the day did have its ups and downs, it was all worth it, if just to see the look on M's face as all of her favorite characters took to the ice. Makes me just want to bottle up 3 years old and save it forever. But I guess my shelves would start to get pretty full because who am I kidding?! I would have bottled up 1, 2, and Grayson's 6.5 years, too!
Lord, let me never forget these moments.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sorry Judy, I'm with Dave on the Max adventure. There are always those "seedy" people anytime I've ridden. And that's only been a couple of times. But it was a new experience. I can just hear Grayson's "Ugh" when Ariel came out. I think Ry would have done the same thing.