Monday, August 4, 2008

Life on the Umpqua



Ah. Looks serene, doesn't it? Well it is...when the Spencers aren't around!!! But this past weekend serenity was replaced by hootin', hollerin', and the nonstop whirring of the Margarator at the "Umpqua Institute of Family Togetherness" (as my Uncle Steve calls it). In layman's terms--my mom's side of the family had its annual reunion on the Umpqua river. Aunts, uncles, cousins, and second cousins, along with my Grandpa John, all converged on the old "cabin" for a weekend filled with junkfood, laughter, a potato gun, tents galore, slugs aplenty, and numerous river explorations. Grayson and Molly loved it all!

Unbelievably, everyone made it this year, and incredibly, we managed to take a halfway decent family photo that we framed and presented to my grandpa. Now that he's in his 90s, each summer gathering that we have with him in attendance is truly a time to treasure. And thank goodness that, up to this point, he's always held true to his word when at the end of the weekend I say goodbye and he pats my hand and says, "See you next year, kid!" with a little chuckle in his voice. Yes, Grandpa, we will see you next year! I'm counting on it!

No comments: