Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Realization.

I regret to inform you, my readers, that my initial boastful proclamation last Fall stating that I am a die hard soccer mom thru and thru was, perhaps, a bit premature. Mainly, I am a weather wimp. W-I-M-P. To me, 42 degrees is freakishly cold! Who cares that some people in some areas of the country would consider 42 degrees to be a heatwave this time of year?! Seriously. Those people should move. Because 42 degrees never has been nor will it ever be WARM! Admittedly, I am the mom who sits in her car with the engine running and heat turned on during practice while I watch the other moms and dads, not to mention the players, tough it out on the field. All the while I just pray that one of my mom friends will walk Grayson back to our car when practice is over so as to not have to get out and feel the cold. (Thank you Allison, CB, and Sarri for prevailing thus far!)

Secondly, while this has absolutely no bearing on my soccer mom status, this Spring season brings with it a new element. Potty training. Yes, Molly has decided that now is the time. (Which really, now is past the time...she's over 3 for heaven's sake...but, well...) You can imagine that a curious 3 year-old who is now interested in visiting every "potty" in the greater Portland area would also, of course, feel the need to experience the porta-potties located near the playing fields. Multiple times. During each game. Oh yeah, that is going to be fun.

BUT, because I still get teary-eyed while my heart swells with pride when I see my little guy hustle up and down the field with a smile on his face from ear to ear, I will, freezing or not, be there each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. With my curious little potty explorer, too. (Now Wednesday night practices? I make no promises!)

Here are just a few pics from this morning's Spring soccer kick-off:

I think today's 'catch phrase' heard most often from the sidelines was, "_____, get your hands out of your pockets!" Who can blame them though? It was darn cold!
That looks to be some sort of "Bring it on!" battle cry. Or something.
Apparently a pink Easter hat with ribbons ranks as one of those 'don't leave home without it' items. Hopefully it won't land itself in the "potty" this season. Ick.
Game's over. Now bring on the snacks!
Soccer buds.

3 comments:

CB said...

I'm glad you got a photo of Iceman coming through the "Spirit Tunnel" for me. I'm still figuring out our new camera, I was trying to get it to focus and missed my own son!!!

BTW, we stopped by Big 5 on the way home and I bought LONG JOHNS for the next game!

Sarri said...

Glad to see you back on the blogging train again!! :)

I think I may love fall soccer better than spring . . . but either way, those boys are so fun!

Michelle said...

Looks like fun times ahead for you. At least you are even remotely near the soccer field this time of year. Me...NOT!