Saturday, September 20, 2008

Application Accepted

For 5 years now, my resume has been on file. And just this past week I finally got to start my new position--SOCCER MOM!!! I think I've got a little to learn though because mostly I just stood on the sidelines of today's game and had to push back the tears that were welling up in my eyes the ENTIRE time!!! I'm sorry, but it was just too cute (ahem, I mean 'cool'), and I still can't believe that my son is old enough to be on his first team and out there playing!

The whole 'event' of today's game was a sight to see. From the little boys learning how to tuck in their t-shirts, to learning what the heck the word "defense" means, to learning how to give a high-five during a substitution, and of course one of the most important lessons--which way to kick the ball! They did great. And while I don't *think* they came out on the winning end as far as number of goals scored, the nice thing about kindergarten soccer is for the most part, none of the boys even know that scoring more goals than the opposing team even matters. So as long as just having fun is the name of the game, I will go ahead and confide that the sport of soccer probably isn't going to get me to the olympics as the next Debbie Phelps (mom of superstar olympic athlete Michael Phelps)!!! If Grayson just makes contact with the ball this season, we will call it a success! :)

Isaac: "Look Grayson, we have the same shorts!"
Grayson: "Whoa, and look! We even have the same shirts!"
Brilliant observation. Everyone on the TEAM had the same TEAM shirt on.
Some last minute coaching tips offered by Coach Mason.

The coaches probably weren't totally prepared for the literal minds of 5-year-olds. When they said, "Defenders, stay on the white line," boy did they ever STAY on the white line!
Still STAYING on that white line! :)
Darn, where's a tissue when you need one!
Judging by this picture, you'd think that our #19 was right in the middle of the action the entire time! Um, not so much. In this picture, play had been stopped, and the coach asked Grayson to be the one to kick the ball and get the game going again. Perhaps I should appreciate the picture and not mention that he kicked it out of bounds... (But don't worry, I/we could still get to the olympics in another sport!)
Team Purple had an awesome cheering section...
...especially this cute cheerleader!
High-fives from the coach! We are thankful for our 2 coaches, Sarri and Jeff! I teach this age, but I can't imagine coaching them!!!
After the game, players from both teams get to run thru the "tunnel" and celebrate a game well played!
So that was another one of my "firsts" from this past week. I'm a soccer mom now--and a proud one at that! Can't wait 'til Tuesday! (As long as it doesn't rain. I'm not sure that I'll be a good rainy day soccer mom.)

4 comments:

Paige Lomas said...

So glad you got the job! It is one that is full of the ups and down. Here is what I like: chatting with the other parents, watching my guy learn soccer skills and team "stuff", chatting with other parents...(get the idea). Here is what I don't like: rainy soccer games and wet, muddy clothing and shoes all over the car and in the house. Really though, it is a pretty cool thing to be officially a soccer mom! Congrats on your new job. You do know you will get a promotion soon right? There is always t-ball, baseball, football, tennis...look out!

Michelle said...

They look so cute out there and how nice that it wasn't raining today for the game. I wouldn't be a big fan of that part either. :) I love how they all followed directions and stood on the white line.

Stefanie said...

Another reason to love Fall!

I can hear your excitement...all these new things are so much fun.

CB said...

I gotta have those pictures!!! Since I was running to and from two games, I missed a lot of each...Can you send them my way???

Oh, and welcome to the world of Soccer Mom. Here's to a season without (too many) rainy games...