Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This Is Why.

This is why it's okay to let our babies get older, turn 5, and then start kindergarten.



Because I tell you what. That first holiday program that they perform--priceless.

Yes, I was one of those parents last night--smiling (beaming with pride, actually), waving, and making constant eye contact with my little performer. Every emotion that I was feeling spilled out. I cried, I laughed, and I loved every second of it.

I can't tell you what a radically different perspective it is enjoying a program like that as a parent. I mean being that I am a kindergarten teacher, I've been going to kindergarten winter programs for years. And each year, the kids are darling. So sweet. But when it's your own kid? Ah. Full heart moment, I tell you. In fact, my heart runneth over with love and joy last night!

Truthfully, I think Dave and I both had doubts as to whether Grayson would actually sing up on "stage". He's a shy little guy, and I knew that he was nervous beforehand. But look at him up there! And like his mama, you bet he made eye contact with me, too every chance he got! I love that kid!




And starring G.R. as.......the letter 'F'!
(But I must include a funny story from earlier in the day. When G got home from school, he told me this: "Mom, I don't know if I will be or not, but if you see me wearing a shirt with nothing on it tonight...that means I'm a finger space." A finger space! If you've never been a teacher of writing, then you may not get it. But we teach beginning writers who often can't yet eyeball an appropriate amount of space between words to physically place a finger (or 2) on their papers in order to create spaces between words. My son--a 'finger space' in his acting debut! Ah, the pride. But truth be told, he made an equally fabulous 'letter F', too!)





See the little girl in green between 'Merry' and 'Christmas'? Finger space.

Now see that there is no space between 'Feliz' and 'Navidad'? Naughty finger space. Who had to be removed. Yikes.


And what would a kindergarten Christmas program be without a surprise visit from Santa Claus?


They almost look like an old married couple, don't they? Too cute.


And, um...well...all I can is they look a bit like an old married couple, too! Okeedokee, then.




Smiles all around. What a great night! Thanks for the memories, G!

4 comments:

Sarri said...

He was a very good F! He would have made a darling finger space as well! Garrett was so jealous that he didn't get to be a 'number.' They were so cute!

Paige Lomas said...

I know what you mean about it being your kids up there....when mine was in 2nd grade I felt the same way. It is a strange deal alright. Your little guy did great! Feliz Navidad!

Michelle said...

The pictures are so cute! (and that video is priceless!) There is nothing quite like your first Christmas program. With as many performance things as we've been to for Court, this will be Ryan's "stage debut". Let's hope he does as well as Grayson did.

CB said...

I love G's explanation of the "blank" shirt! Too Cute...and I'm glad I know what a finger space means...