Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Merry Christmas.

Today is the last day of '08, and frankly the last 2 weeks seem like they have been a whole year in themselves! Which doesn't really give me a good excuse for not updating my blog, so, like everything else these past few weeks, I'll just blame it on the snow. Darn snow, slush, and ice! I'm actually relieved that we'll be ringing in the new year with nothing but good ol' Oregon rain. (You know I must be tired of snow when 'good' and 'rain' appear in the same sentence.)

Different. That's really the best word to explain this past Christmas. Some things I loved. Like the fact that it wouldn't have helped in the least to stress about the little last minute things that never got done. Being 'snowed in' has its advantages that way. What didn't get done didn't really make a difference. Huh, imagine that. Christmas was still Christmas. And the twinkle in my kids' eyes was no less bright because I didn't do all of my baking, mail out my Christmas cards, or find just the right wreath for my front door.

Some things I didn't love. Like the fact that Arctic Blast 2008 wreaked havoc on so many people's holiday plans, including ours. My brother was supposed to be with us but couldn't make the drive because of the snow. And slush. And ice. We missed him. Lots. Thankfully though my parents did make it. Barely. They sat in a traffic jam on I-205 for 7 hours just to get to us! But my kids were so happy. How they love Grandma and Papa. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for loving them!!!

Finally on Christmas Eve day the snow was wet enough to build a snowman! Maybe because it was raining on us the whole time we were working!


We opted not to put the presents under the tree until Christmas Eve. 2 words why--Molly. Kate.
It has always been my family's tradition to open up presents on Christmas Eve, after dinner. My mom says it's something about "the German in us". Whatever it is, I love it that way. I
love how it looks and feels. I like that it's dark outside but lit up inside with the lights of the tree, etc... I like that afterward we have dessert--something ooey, gooey, and warm. And I like that in the morning the kids still get to look forward to their stockings and anything else that Santa might bring. Tradition. It's a good thing.
Molly got a "doghouse" this year (a.k.a. dollhouse).

And a beautiful Cinderella dress. Oooh-la-la!

Boys and their toys.
One tradition was altered this year. Slightly. Instead of the kids getting matching (or at least coordinating) new jammies, this year's jammies went with a theme. Molly got some to match her Bitty doll, and Grayson got Spiderman to go with his new pbk Spiderman sheets. But this is the only Christmas picture of Molly wearing hers because 5 minutes later she peed. And her diaper leaked. All over. So much for that plan!

Christmas morning. Molly in her not cute, not new pajama pants. Sigh.


Christmas dinner with Grandma and Papa. Delicious!


Grandma and G playing the--ahem--Pretty, Pretty Princess Game! Notice the dangly earrings, necklace, ring, etc... That's my boy! :)

2 comments:

Paige Lomas said...

Your blog is great. Totally stinks your traditions and plans got messed up. SNOW!!!! But I totally can not even believe your parents were on the hi-way for 7 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!

Teresa said...

Well done, Judy. Most of our plans got cancelled, too, but my parents also braved the weather and made it just in time. I don't get the presents on Christmas Eve thing (the Denney family does it too) but I do get the importance of traditions. Oh, and, by the way, we love the pretty princess game!