Sunday, November 30, 2008

Full of Thanks

So the long holiday weekend has drawn to a close. And while for various reasons it didn't rank up there with the best of the best, I've been humbled over the last couple of days and really can't complain. I mean I could complain that my husband had to work 3 out of the 4 days, but then I think about an old high school friend who I just caught up with on 'facebook'. Her husband was recently deployed for a second time, and she's left at home to raise their 2 young girls, ages 4 and 5 months. He'll be gone for a year. So really, I think I can survive a few days on my own.

And going back to the whole work thing. Really, how can I complain? My husband has work. He has people coming at him from all different directions asking him to work. He doesn't have time to do all of the work. The time thing--that stinks. I hate to give him up on the weekends. But I know that we are being blessed right now during a difficult time. After all, just today Dave's boss had to lay off 1 more employee. Guess who that leaves? Dave. So it kind of seems like a waiting game 'til Dave, too is let go, but for now at least he has work. And a paycheck. And even some possibilities out there on the horizon. Too many other people don't have work. I can't complain.

And then there are my kids. The 2 who mean more to me than anything else.
Waiting for Santa...


Again, I could complain about the monster fit that Grayson threw while at the Santa parade--the one that was so bad that I had to remove him from the action and march him up and down 4th Street just so he didn't get to experience the joy of seeing Jolly Old Saint Nick go by on the fire truck--but all of that was forgotten when I heard 3 sweet words come at me from the bath tub the next day. "Mom, I'm sorry." And later that night when we got together with friends for an annual holiday dinner, not one complaint was heard about the lack of individual gifts this year. Instead we did a game exchange--one game per family. And while the kids did love the new games, the night was more about being together, playing, and having fun. They got it. They got the spirit of the season. And my heart was/is full. I really can't complain about that.







What it's all about...
And did I mention that I didn't have to do a single dish on Thanksgiving? Or cook, for that matter. Again, no complaints!

Yes, life does throw us curve balls, and chances are good that my family will have to dodge a few more here and there. But for now, this holiday season, you won't hear complaining from me. Not much anyway.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

It's always good to have perspective in this mom business, but it sure is hard sometimes and at least this is a safe place to go ahead and complain!

That sounded like a hard weekend to me...you deserve fudge or something.

You really should have just crawled in our van and enjoyed the 10 movies I rented for the long trip and the snow that we found waiting for us too.

Magical...good medicine. Not sure if it does that for you locals, but it does me.

Hang in there.

Stefanie said...

Oh, ps, you usually can't come to my moms group, but tomorrow night we are having an evening shin dig - card making. Free - 6:30-8:30 at the church if you want to just show up.

Michelle said...

I'm glad that Dave's job is still holding on. What a tough time for all of those families without work. I think you do have a right to still complain a little though when you don't get him on the weekends. :) That is tough after a full week of kids to not share the load with someone.