Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Here's what a medical emergency and a few tears will get you...

Really, I'm trying to pull myself away from the computer, but now I'm on a roll! Besides, the kids are both sleeping, so what better time is there to continue documenting our week long adventure?!...

So now it's Wednesday night, and we're on our way to San Diego, a little sad to be leaving Disneyland but still plenty excited about what lies ahead. As we drove, I was getting more and more nervous about our hotel accomodations. It's a lot of pressure to be the one in charge of making all of the reservations! And it's not like I had first-hand knowledge about the resort I had picked. Nope, I just found it on the internet, read some reviews, and thought the pictures looked nice. So when I found what appeared to be a good deal, I jumped on it and booked 3 nights. The 3 nights were originally supposed to be the 18th, 19th, and 20th of June. That was before Grayson's little trip to the ER on the night of the 17th. Ugh. At 4 a.m. in the morning on the 18th, I called the travel company (which, by the way, I would whole heartedly recommend Get Away Today Vacations). No answer, but I could leave a message. So I did. A sobbing one, detailing everything that had happened. And bless her heart, at exactly 8 a.m. when the GAT office opened, a very sweet gal named Alyssa returned my call and assured me that she'd call the resort manager directly and see what she could work out. But unfortunately, both she and I were thinking that there was a very real possibility that the place would be booked solid the next week. But minutes later Alyssa called me back and said that the manager would take care of everything. All I had to do was change the dates on my travel voucher. Thank you, God. Poor Alyssa got to hear me sob some more as I thanked her repeatedly for all of her help.

So back to Wednesday, the 25th. With the help of Google Maps, we found the Catamaran Resort without any problem. I went inside, checked us in, handed over our travel voucher, and got the keys to our room. Then I met up with the guy who was going to help with our luggage. He looked at our room number and said, "Wow, that's a great room." Huh, he must say that to every guest, I thought. After all, I had only booked one of the standard rooms, which is all we could afford. It was supposed to be one of those rooms where, if we were lucky, we'd have a view of a nice grassy area or perhaps some green foliage and not the parking lot. But when we got to our room we realized that we had been upgraded to a suite! Like the nicest kind of suite that they offer! Our room was RIGHT on the bay, not steps from the bay, but RIGHT out our balcony door was the white, sandy beach!!! And in our room was not 1, but 2 huge flat screen plasma tvs! Wow. Everything really does happen for a reason, doesn't it?...

1 comment:

Paige Lomas said...

you are so lucky....I had to leave you a comment about Umpqua...we were on Tyee Road!!!! I am curious as to your family's name (be it not Ryan) so shoot me an email (you can use my school address) plomas@ you know the rest.