Friday, July 25, 2008

Which hurts worse?

A.) Being a 5-year-old who has to get 4 shots in his arm? -or- B.) Being the mom of a 5-year-old who has to get 4 shots in his arm?


The answer is B. I figured that out a little over 5 years ago when I held a brand new little being in my arms, and for the first time in my life my heart hurt. Hurt because I loved him so much. A kind of love that just swells up inside and sometimes you don't know how to wrap your mind around it. It's a different kind of love. I guess that's why sometimes as parents we question whether or not to add to our families because it's hard to fathom that you could actually feel that kind of love to the same extent for other children without your heart literally bursting open. But thank goodness, we are given the capacity to love in such a way whether it be 1, 2, or 10 kids. So for over 5 years now my heart has been hurting...in a good way.


But it kind of hurt in a bad way yesterday as I was preparing to send Grayson off to the doctor's office. It hurt so bad that I couldn't even be the one to take him. Daddy had to. True, I've learned how to deal with skinned knees, bloody lips, crushed spirits, wheezing, and vomit from head to toe (on me!), but to watch a stranger jab 4 needles into my son's arms--the thought of that was a little too hurtful to bare.


So I waited at home. And waited. And imagined just how awful it was in the exam room right at that minute. The screams, the crying, the tears, and the look that he gets in his eyes when someone has let him down. I might as well have been there because I was just certain that I had accurately imagined the scene to a "T".


No, I wasn't there, but I prepared for it to be just as bad when Grayson walked thru the door at home. I knew he'd probably walk in with a brave face, one that he had tried to keep plastered on his face the whole drive home. You know those looks? Those ones you have to work so hard at that they actually make your face hurt? But then I had a feeling that the second he saw me he'd break down. Mamas seem to have that effect. He'd crumble into my arms, and the tears would start flowing. The kind of tears that you can't stop, and the ones that stain cheeks and dampen your shoulder. I would be the only person who could make his pain go away even though my heart, at that minute, would be aching terribly.


Huh. What fantasyland do I live in? Thinking that I would be saver of my son's universe, the hero, the rescuer...

G: "Mom! What's my surprise?!?" (as he came bursting thru the door, definitely no evidence of hurting or sorrow in his eyes or a face that was sore from a plastered look of bravery)
Me: "Oh honey, are you okay? (running over to my post, arms outstretched and ready to catch him)
G: "Yep." (running past me to see if a "surprise" was anywhere in sight)
Me: "Did you get the shots?"
G: "Yep. I didn't cry."
Me: "Did you a little?"
G: "Nope."
Me: "Did you get the special cream to make it hurt not as bad?"
G: "Nope. That would have taken too long."
Me: "So you're okay?"
G: "Yep. Now what's my surprise, Mom?"

Alrightythen, now that's not much of a story to tell, is it? Apparently Grayson does not have the same flare for dramatics as his mother!!!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Oh I'm so glad that Grayson did so well with his shots - and the only pain seemed to be your pride!!
Don't worry, if Miss Molly is anything like my girls, she will provide all the drama you could ever imagine!

Teresa said...

I feel your pain, Judy! Laura was jaudiced when she was born and had to have her heel pricked every day for about two weeks. After about the third day, I just handed her off to the nurse so I wouldn't have to suffer through it. I became known as "the mom who won't do it" at the lab. :)

Michelle said...

I think it is normal for us moms to just want to protect our babies. I still have trouble when either kid is in pain or hurt somehow. Ya gotta love that Grayson just went for the prize though. Too cute!

Paige Lomas said...

You have just reminded me of what I am SO NOT looking forward to...again!!!!! I had pushed that way back into the "I just want to forget that he got his shots" part of my memory. Your little guy is growing up! Yikes...that is always so scary for us moms. We want them to grow up but we want them to need us (NEED) us like we need them. I don't think you are being dramatic, it was real!