Wednesday, July 9, 2008

To Read or Not To Read?

Okay, here is my vow. I am going to do it. I promise. I am going to read this summer. At least 1 book. Maybe 2. And all of you are out there to hold me accountable. Ugh. Why do I do this to myself? :)

Here's the thing. I have no idea why I don't like to read. I am an educated adult, after all, and a teacher, for goodness sake! A teacher who doesn't like to read--sounds as bad as a dentist who doesn't brush his teeth! But don't get me wrong, I LOVE children's literature. I read tons of it. I keep up. I do. And I share that love with my kids and my students. But the section of the library where the grown-up books are--ummm? Where is that? (I must really trust you people to divulge such information!!!)

This is why I've decided that I don't read. Perhaps I am a person who can't go "deep", or at least I don't give myself credit for being able to go "deep". I doubt myself. I mean I have read books before that I've enjoyed just fine, in fact I couldn't put them down they were so good, but then upon finishing the book someone asks, "What did you think about the symbolism between the....and the....?" Huh? Symbolism? You mean that book was supposed to mean something more to me than just the girl gets the guy and they live happily ever after?! Or I can remember times that I've tried book clubs (see, I have tried to go "deep" and think like the rest of you!) and someone will make reference to a particular episode in the story and explain its supposed meaning and I am just left to think (while I sweat), "Shoot! How did I miss that? Did I skip a few chapters? I thought I read this book cover to cover!"

Hmmm, is it truly all me?! I'd like to believe that maybe sometimes you people make things up about books, and perhaps you're not that much smarter than me!!! No, you probably are that smart. I guess that's why I like tv so much. I just sit on the couch and am entertained. Seems like reading should be the same way, right? So okay, if I try it, then the rest of you have to promise not to stress me out!

Here's what I'll be picking up first thanks to my friend Sarri, who, by the way, I stressed out with my request for books. See, she knows what a big deal this is that I would even ask for book recommendations!--

-Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts (I'm already a tad bit nervous since it was part of Oprah's Book Club--makes me think I am supposed to think "deep".)

-The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (I have a feeling that it's not just about beans that grow on trees...Do beans even grow on trees?!)

Okay, off I go...to read...but first, The Today Show is on. Can't miss that! :)

1 comment:

Sarri said...

I stink at symbolism and all that too! It's just entertainment!! You crack me up though. Enjoy!